Instagram is currently one of the most popular social media platforms in the world, with more than 700 million active users globally.
Individuals and businesses alike are taking advantage of Instagram to publish photos and stories, connect with followers, and establish their brand online.
As a business owner, should you follow the trend and advertise on Instagram, too? Here is everything you need to know about Instagram advertising.
Why Should You Advertise on Instagram
Instagram advertising offers multiple benefits to small businesses. Below are some reasons why you should leverage on promoting your brand and business on Instagram:
- Instagram can help increase your reach and grow your followers fast. It takes just one click on the Follow button from the right customers to further boost your business online.
- Instagram allows you to create multiple ad formats that are visually appealing and engaging to Instagram users. These include image, video, and carousel ads. Unlike traditional text and banner ads, multimedia ads tell stories while alluring your target audience to take action.
- You can use call-to-action buttons on your Instagram ads to drive traffic to your website. Unlike organic or unpaid Instagram posts, paid advertisements allow you to drive traffic directly to your website which helps trigger engagement from followers and creates a step further to generating leads and sales.
- Instagram advertising allows specific ad targeting where you can target audiences by age, location, gender, as well as interests and personal preferences.
- Finally, there’s less competition on Instagram. Since Instagram is a (relatively) new advertising platform, it offers a less competitive platform for advertising and reaching users compared to Facebook and Google.
Setting Up Your First Instagram Ad Campaign
It is important to note that you will need to create your Instagram ad campaigns on Facebook and not on Instagram directly. After Facebook acquired Instagram, its advertising was integrated within Facebook’s ad manager.
Creating an Instagram ad is very much like creating a Facebook ad. The only differences are the ad size and the objective of the campaign. You can utilize either Facebook’s Power Editor or Ad Manager when setting up your campaign.
The first step is to create a campaign from the Ad Manager or Power Editor. You will need to name your campaign and ad, identify your ad set, and select the objective of your campaign. You must choose an objective that supports Instagram advertising, which currently includes: Clicks to Website, Mobile App Installs, and Video Views.
As the campaign is being set up on Facebook, you can choose whether you want to run the ads on Instagram only or both on Instagram and Facebook. However, take note that you should have Instagram set as a placement option and that your Facebook and Instagram accounts are linked together for the ads to run.
Once the campaign set up, you can start creating your ad, upload it to Power Editor, and your Instagram Ad will be submitted for approval.
Instagram Advertising Best Practices
While advertising on Instagram sounds easy and straightforward, you wouldn’t want to waste your hard-earned money without considering return on investment (ROI), right? Here are some best practices you can follow to ensure valid results and returns on Instagram advertising:
- Experiment with various ad formats, content, messaging, and audience targeting.
- Create ads that tell exciting stories, instead of just uploading a promotional image.
- Use hashtags for better visibility. Make sure this promote across all of your social networks.
- Consider tagging popular social influencers to capture a bigger audience and reach.
- Use clear and high-quality images with a significant focal point. Additionally, the image itself should be able to tell a distinct message even without a lengthy explanation.
- Put short text description on your images in case users don’t have the time to read the actual caption of the post.
- Use Instagram ads to share exclusive content, promotional offers, and discounts to increase engagement.
- Closely track results of the campaign through engagement such as likes, comments, DMs, and traffic to the website to measure the effectiveness of ads.
- Support ads with organic posts so that when users start following you and browsing through your profile, they will see enough valuable information.
- Reach out to your audience. Use custom audiences to identify your best customers and strengthen relationship with them.
While Instagram advertising is relatively new, Instagram itself has been around for years with already almost a billion active users. As a business owner or marketer, it always pays to try out new marketing strategies that may work for your brand. If you are hesitant to do it on your own, connect with us. The team at NerdBox can help you with your social media marketing needs.